Thursday, November 17, 2011

God Works

When it rains...
It pours...

You've heard the saying, and you know what it means.

I hate rain. Ok, that's a little harsh, but I really don't like rain! I understand why it's necessary, and appreciate it when the season has been dry, but I don't like it. It soaks my glasses like a windshield, messes up my hair and gets my feet so wet and cold! Which is why, when you see me out in the rain, I use a very big umbrella. Inevitably, though, the rain does what it set out to do and gets me wet.

Rain gets everything wet. In fact, rain can be so powerful that it washes out everything in it's path. Storms, hurricanes, tidal waves (does rain have anything to do with tidal waves? Maybe I should just title this "water.") Rain can destroy homes, towns, and move mountains. Inevitably, though, the rain subsides, life rebuilds and there is always-yes, always-healing and growth. It may take time, it may be painful, it may not go the way we want, but the healing and growth is always there.

Here's another saying for you:
God works in mysterious ways.
We've all heard the saying, and we think we know what it means, but I don't think we really do.

And I don't think the "mystery" is the point. I think the point is that God Works. Whether in mysterious ways, amazing ways, unknown, blah, blah, whatever ways-God Works. God created the rain, He created seasons in our lives, and we all have those seasons of pouring rain. When the rain is done, there is always-yes, I believe eventually always-healing and growth. God Works. Whether we want Him to or not. God Works. (I should put that on a t-shirt and sell it).

I decided to look up bible references on God's work and this is what I came up with:

Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
Psalm 66:5--Come see what God has done, how awesome His works in man's behalf,
John 9:3--"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."
Romans 8:28--And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love HIm, who have been called according to His purpose.
1 Corinthians 12:6--There are different kinds of working but the same God works all of them in all men.
Ephesians 2:10--For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do.

This is where you ask me why I'm writing about this. I'm writing about this because right now I'm angry. And I don't like being angry at God. I don't like being angry at all. I don't like how anger makes me feel. Right now, the season my family is in, it's pouring. My loved ones are in the midst of hurricanes. I wish the rain would just stop.

Then I look at my life, and where I'm at. I am blessed. I am healing, and I am growing. Because of where I am, I continually see God working through the rain and I know my job is just to hold up my umbrella and give cover in whatever way I can. In my life I have seen seasons of storms and hurricanes and I have felt healing and I have grown. God Works.

There is one little thing I like about rain...jumping in the puddles.

Yes, God Works.



No comments:

Post a Comment