Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

There's a consensus out there that single people don't care too much for Valentine's Day. After all, Valentine's day is for lovers, sweethearts and mushy stuff that you must have someone special to share it with, right? I used to think so. Don't get me wrong- I was one of those people, especially when I was very young, who dreaded Valentine's day if I didn't have someone special in my life. Now I just see it and think about it differently. I've always been a romantic (did I just admit that on my blog? What am I thinking?) and adore love stories, happily every after, and all that kind of stuff. So why can't I embrace that and how wonderful it is, no matter where I'm at in my life? Last year I posted my favorite "love stuff" on Facebook and I am in the process of doing the same thing today. I just posted the clip from the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End" where Barbosa marries Will and Elizabeth while in the midst of a pirate battle as the BEST WEDDING EVER!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkIlvtybWg&feature=share

We all know there are many kinds of love. There's been so much done about love that it's a little confusing. I think it's pretty simple. Either it's there, or it isn't. I have learned that no matter what love is, or how many kinds of love there is, love is wonderful. Love at first sight? Yes, I believe in it. Has it happened to me before? Yes. 

It happened to me the day I met my daughter, Jennifer. I wasn't her mom then, in fact, she was about to become my little preschool student. I looked into her eyes and just knew that somehow she was going to be part of my life and I fell in love with her. I began praying for her, and her daddy. Throughout most of her childhood, she would tell people that "my mommy loved me before she loved my daddy." God gave me the privilege of becoming her mommy and loving her for the rest of her life. It hasn't been pretty and we've seen some pretty dark times, but the love has never faltered. The reward in this is that Jennifer has the kindest heart and is the most loving person I know.

Because of that love, I've learned that love is to be embraced and cherished. Even as a single person I can still look at romantic love and smile. As a parent, I look at my children and thank God for the love that has brought us through ups and downs and keeps us a family. As a friend, I am willing to open my heart and love others for who they are. As a person, I love others because God first loved me and will always love me, no matter what. 

So today, I celebrate Valentine's Day as it should be celebrated. Embracing and enjoying love. I think chocolate may be involved too.

Right now, this is me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJmKkU5POA&ob=av2e

No comments:

Post a Comment