Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Does the shoe drop?

Wow-what an incredible month this has been! One month ago today I started my new job. It has been a great experience and I am very happy with the decision to take this job. And to have a steady paycheck again! I'm sure there are many people who understand how comforting that is when you haven't had a steady paycheck for a long time. My life instantly got busier, but it's worth it. I had to invest in some great shoes for this job. I am on my feet for 4-8 hours and great shoes make a huge difference in how my feet feel at the end of the day.

That was the beginning of the month, but the rest of the month just got better, thanks to Shakespeare.

Did I tell you I'm in love with Shakespeare? Well, if I haven't, I'm sure it's easy to figure out. But I'm not in love with my writing-which I know I've told you. So, I struggled with a decision to submit a paper for presentation at the Shakespeare Symposium at CSU Fullerton happening in just a couple of weeks. Standing up in front of 500 people and talking: no problem. Presenting my written paper-MY writing-to an academic symposium where there will be people who are way more philosophical and learned than me: no thanks.

Then I got "the look" from my Shakespeare Professor. Ok, ok. So, I  submit my paper. The next day, I got an email saying "Thank you, I will inform you if your paper has been accepted..." I let it go. I took the risk. The feelings of intimidation set in and I was sure my paper would not be accepted and that was ok.

One week later, I got another email: My paper was accepted. I will be presenting at the Shakespeare Symposium. I can't stop crying about this.

You know what's amazing? That my hard work just continues to pay off! Accomplishment after accomplishment! I am so overwhelmed-I can't even begin to describe how this feels.

But this is life. I was talking to a friend of mine this evening and I was reminded that there is nothing wrong with this accomplishment. In fact, it should be expected. Good, hard work reaps good results. I deserve this.

Do I? Wow-that is so hard for me to grasp.

This brings me back to shoes. What about that saying-how does it go?

When the other shoe drops? You know, when the good stuff ends and bad stuff happens?

Ah-well that's where my philosophy begins. Life is about ups, downs, good and bad. You see, my friend is right. I can humbly and proudly accept the rewards of my accomplishments. Just because I am reaping the rewards of my hard work doesn't mean that it will end and that I should expect something bad to happen. It is in my faith in God's provision that I know I can get through the bad stuff whenever it happens.

And the great thing about when the shoe drops, you can either pick it up, or put in on and keep going.

I just live, work hard, study, and embrace my blessings.

And manage my time to get my final papers done. And graduate. And work. And find time to be with my friends and family. And thank God for helping me walk in my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment