Friday, April 13, 2012

What if...

Did you know there was such a thing as the Shakespeare Institute where you can go and study Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature AND get a Master's degree in Shakespeare studies? Oh my goodness!!! (She says with arms flailing and an excited expression on her face.)

If you and I have had a conversation about how my classes are going this semester, then I have said this to you. I know I have promised you an update on how school is going and I am sorry that this is a little on the late side. After all, the semester is over in a little more than a month. It has been a good semester. I am taking 15 units-5 classes and so far the load has been not only manageable, but enjoyable as well.

Three of my classes are British literature classes: Elizabethan (16th century) poetry and prose, Shakespeare and Chaucer (Canterbury Tales). I have enjoyed British lit for many years, after becoming a fan of Jane Austen when Ethan was in Kindergarten so it's been...more than 15 years now. All 3 of these classes share one major reason why I love British lit so much: The time it takes to read it. Most of the time I don't even understand it, but this seems to add to the beauty of it. Particularly the Renaissance period. I have realized that I have a passion and love for classic British lit-that it speaks to me in a way that makes me feel alive. The history, the complexity, the tedious time it takes to get through it. This kind of literature has also helped me to learn to enjoy the middle of a story, to get lost in the characters, the settings, the plots and taught me that a story is not always about the ending.

So now do you understand my excitement to learn about the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace), UK? Since I have been at CSU Fullerton, I have considered what I would do when I graduate. I want to eventually teach high school English and Adult education, most definitely, but I have realized that it may not necessarily be what I'm supposed to do right away. In fact, since last year, I've been considering the "what if's". What if I go to Japan, or China, or Korea, or Africa and teach English? (this was planted by my grammar prof last semester).

OR what if I go to England for a year and study the stuff that makes my heart skip a beat AND get a Master's in it? Plus add to that the fact that the Director of the Shakespeare Institute was in my class a few weeks ago AND my professor introduced me to him!!! Oh my goodness!!! AND he answered all of my questions!!! AND they let old people go there!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! Just the thought of going to England and studying Shakespeare FOR A WHOLE YEAR just makes my heart jump and brings tears to my eyes! What IF this is what I'm supposed to do after I graduate next December?

What if???

So, last week I told my boys that I have decided to pursue this. To seriously make it my goal to apply and go to the Shakespeare Institute after I graduate. They both think it's a great idea. AND I have been praying about it since the beginning of the semester.

Right now, where I will be a year from now is really up in the air. I could still be at CSU Fullerton working on my credential, or applying to teach overseas, or getting ready to go to England, but I know what I want to do. I want to go to England. I want to immerse myself in British Literature. I want my heart to speak, to soar, to learn more about what I love.

For the next year, my life will be all about the "What if's".

No comments:

Post a Comment