Friday, July 3, 2015

Big Five-Oh!

I have been in denial for almost an entire year. How could I be 50 this year? How? 
No, I couldn't admit it. Never. I will never be 50. Never. 

How about I just start lying about my age? I'll just tell everyone I'm 39, like my grandma did. Hey, it worked for her, I think. I had a conversation with my grandma right before I turned 40. She reminded me that I was happier at 40 than I was at 30. That got me thinking...

What if I embrace this whole turning 50 thing? What's different now than, say, 10 years ago? 

Well, let's see: Smile lines, crow's feet, a touch of arthritis in my wrists and ankles. That's the details, the little pictures. 


But the big picture: I weigh 20 pounds less than I did 10 years ago. My running and workouts help my arthritis. And I may have a few small wrinkles but I still get pimples. 

The thing is, I looked better and was happier at 40 than at 30. The other day, I found a photo of me at the age of 40 and you know what? I look better now and I am way healthier and happier than when I was 40. 

I'm showing off. I know. But hey-this is my blog and that's the point--to give me an opportunity to be narcissistic and show off. 

Look, I'm not looking for a pat on the back-truly. I am a work in progress. I still have 20 pounds to lose before I am at a healthy weight and this 20 pounds has kicked my butt! I've been trying to lose this last 20 pounds for over 6 months and it all just won't go. 

My point is that I just need to keep going. Keep working at it. And keep living. 

The cool thing is that it looks like I got the "young genes" from my mom. When I was in college no one would believe she was my mom-she looks too young! She still has a youthful look about her. And I've already had a few people say, "You're gonna be 50?" NO WAY!"

So, here's to embracing the Big Five-Oh!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being 50! You really do look great and you've accomplished so much over these 50 years: raised 2 wonderful sons, gone back to college and earned a couple of degrees, volunteered and made a difference in the life of teens, ran marathons, worked at a job you enjoy....the list goes on and on. I never lie about my age - I'm grateful for all the Lord's blessed me with over the years, for all He's teaching me. Every season in my life brings new things. Every season has it's own blessings and challenges. I enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete