Monday, January 17, 2011

What is a Titan?

In case you're wondering, I finally decided which university to attend. I had the pleasant surprise of being accepted to all 3 CSUs that were close by-pretty cool. In exactly one week from today I will be attending classes at CSU Fullerton!

Go Titans! Yep, I am a Titan. So, I was thinking-what exactly is a "titan?" In my Mythology class last spring I was fascinated by the history of Greek mythology and the small role the gods-the Titans-play in mythology. My favorite is Prometheus. I even wrote a paper on Prometheus for my mythology class-and got an A on it. I could go on about the story of Prometheus, but I'll leave that for another blog, if you're interested.

One day I just googled: "What is a Titan?" and came up with some interesting information, especially on wikipedia:
Did you know:
There a Star Trek novel series titled "Titan."
Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 1 in D major is nicknamed Titan.
The USNS Titan is a ship in the U.S. Navy.
The Titan Beetle is the largest beetle in the Amazon rainforest.
Titan is a variety of sunflower.

Here's another interesting tidbit: CSU Fullerton's mascot is not some gorgeous hunk of a Greek god. It's an elephant. Something to do with some elephant race many years ago. If you're interested, here's the link to the elephant story:
http://www.fullertontitans.com/trads/csfu-trads.html

No comments:

Post a Comment