Thursday, June 16, 2011

Family Vacations

Did your family take those long vacations when you were a kid? You know the kind: mom and dad pack up and get the kids in the car and we're on the road before sunrise to go to somewhere for a family vacation that took what felt like forever to get there. We inundated dad with questions like "are we there yet?" "How much longer?" "what time is lunch?" "When are we stopping?" and so on...Every two years we took a vacation to Washington and the drive (back then) was three days. Three stinking long days. It was the longest three days in the entire world! 

I find myself feeling that exact same way when thinking about my sister and my dad and the road they both have ahead of them. My sister will begin a six month regimen of chemotherapy in 2 weeks. Six stinking long months. My dad's recovery from surgery has faltered a little, but we already knew it could be a long recovery; 4-6 months plus when he eventually begins his chemo. This is going to be the longest year in the entire world!

There were two great things about family vacation. Finally getting to the destination and having a blast where every it was and finally reaching home at the end of vacation. That feeling of "we're here!"

There's quite a few variables in what's going on with my dad and my sister. The journey is going to be alot bumpier and treacherous than a family vacation road trip. But the destination. Finally reaching home. Finally getting to say "we're here!" no matter where that "here" is. Either our heavenly home (which to some of you may sound morbid, and it puts an ache in heart to think that way, but with Christ as my redeemer and comforter I celebrate that) or cancer free, in the end the destination makes the journey worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment