Saturday, June 25, 2011

John Welty: December 25, 1941-June 24, 2011

Today's blog is a conglomeration of thoughts about my dad so just bear with me as I work this dedication to my dad.

My dad was a warrior. Even in the hospital bed he never stopped working for Christ. I thought it was unfinished business. Talk to this person, make sure this person knows that, plant the garden, take care of this, go, go, go. Then I realized, when a warrior's battle is over, it's time for him to go home, but until he goes home, he just keeps going, he just keeps working, because that's what he's supposed to do. Dad kept gardening, he kept telling people about Jesus, even the nurses and doctors, he kept going to school, he kept going, going, going. Because that's what he's supposed to do. It's not about unfinished business. It's about doing Jesus' work until it's time to go home. Dad worked until God called him home. Dad was ready. He was done.

"Legacy-n. Something handed down by a predecessor."
My dad's legacy is too enormous to describe in a blog-I think the best place to begin is his 4 children. I am the oldest with 1 sister and 2 brothers. We are all here comforting my mom, taking care of my mom and each other. Consoling, comforting, and loving each other. Dad's legacy to us is our family. We understand that through thick and thin, no matter what, we are a family, and families MUST love each other, accept each other, think beyond the stupid little things, put our crap aside, don't squabble or gripe. We stick together. Growing up, Dad wouldn't let us fight or be angry with each other for too long. I remember him telling me: "You are sisters and brothers-you treat each other right because someday they may be the only family you have! You get along because that's what you're supposed to do!" As the oldest, my dad always told me it was my job to be responsible for my sister and brothers, I had to take care of them. The last few weeks I've watched my sister and baby brother reach out to help me, take care of me. I can see my dad in their comfort and care.

What my dad taught me: Do something. "It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something." "You can do whatever you want, but you must do something." I taught my kids the same thing, but this lesson has helped me in another way:
A few weeks ago I went through the feelings of, "how in the world am I going to be able to get through my dad's illness and finish my college classes at the same time?" I mentioned this to 2 classmate friends and these 2 sweet young women immediately reminded me that I had to keep going, that dad would be proud of me, and I couldn't just give up because this is my life and I would regret giving up. Then I heard my dad's voice. Something like: "this is life, you just keep going, just do it. Life doesn't stop, you gotta work, you gotta finish." and "I didn't raise any quitters." How am I going to get through my final this week? 5 more weeks of summer school.  I'm going to just do it. Just keep going. My dad won't be at my graduation next year, but I will finish.

In everything you do, do your best. In whatever you do, you put your best foot forward, no matter what. Because of this, I can't just do what I can to get by in college. I strive to get the best grade. Take that extra minute to make my assignments perfect, get that A. I'm an English major. Math makes my head explode, but I had to take 3 math classes before I could transfer to University. Dad knew I was horrible in math, but you should have seen us explode in joyful tears when I told him I got an A in algebra. I did my best, I did the hard work and I worked hard, because of what he taught me.

That reminds me, I have homework I need to finish. I may add more stuff to this later.

3 comments:

  1. I think your dad WILL be at your graduation, celebrating! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, Your dad was amazing. Thanks for sharing some thoughts. You will finish, with A's I'm sure. Know that I love you and am so honored to know you and to have known your amazing dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was so proud of his family. You all are truly a beautiful legacy. I am so glad you are all there for each other. Praying God will give you clarity in your studies. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete